Thursday, May 8, 2008

Time


I've been thinking a lot lately about the concept of time; partly because I have too much time on my hands these days, and partly because of the death of my cousin (too young/before his time).

According to Wikipedia, time is a basic component of the measuring system used to sequence events, to compare the durations of events and the intervals between them, and to quantify the motions of objects. Another way to look at time - in physics, spacetime is any mathematical model that combines space and time into a single construct called the spacetime continuum. Spacetime is usually interpreted with space being three-dimensional and time playing the role of the fourth dimension.

It seems that we are constantly being bombarded with demands on our time; ranging from work schedules, to kid's events, from personal desires, to perceived worldly pursuits. When do we finally stand up and take accountability for what we fill our days with? When do we realize that there is a finite amount of time that we have on this planet, and make the most of that precious commodity?

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace."
- Ecclesiastes 3:1–8

4 comments:

Jamie said...

Chuck, I really resonate with this and have been doing a lot of thinking on how I spend my time as well. A man like Paul seemed to realize the value of spending his time and resources on things that truly matter. I want my life to look like this as well.

Eric said...

Is it wrong that I'm now singing "Too Much Time on My Hands" by STYX???? I can't get it out of my head!

Full of JOY said...

how should i be spending my time????

gretchen said...

Great thoughts Chuck--thanks for the reminder of how little time we actually have.