Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Summer Reading



The dog days of Summer are here, and I find myself spending more time with a good book, than I do with any other activity of late. Part of that is due to the amount of time that I have by myself, but another part of that is the great pleasure that I find in reading. To borrow a page (no pun intended) from my friend Lisa's blog, here is a sampling of the books that I am either reading, or that are lined up in my queue.

"A False Spring" is a baseball classic that I read about once a year. It is about unfulfilled potential, and how a person has learned to live with that failure. One of my favorite lines is that the author (Pat Jordan) doesn't view himself as a writer who used to pitch, but as a pitcher who happens to be writing just now (ten years after his minor league pitching career ended). I dive into this book whenever I need a quick and enjoyable read, and whenever I am feeling nostalgic for things past.

I am also in the middle of reading a book about Sandy Koufax, called "Sandy Koufax: A Lefty's Legacy." Koufax was a dominate pitcher in the 1960's, who ended his career early by retiring in his 30's. He went out while on top of the game, when he was still overpowering the sport. Over the years, he has been rather reclusive with his life, but was willing to share his story with the author of this book. It has been a glimpse into the mind of a pitching genius.

The third book I am reading, which is a difficult one for me to get through, is called "The Shack." I bought it based on a recommendation of my friend Eric, and have been intending to read it for months now, and have finally started to do so. It's a hard read for me not because of the writing style, but because of the content. From what I've pieced together so far, it's about a family that loses a child to kidnapping/murder, and how they've dealt with that loss, and with their relationship to God. Those that know me, know that I do not enjoy violence, or bad things happening to children, so this book is stretching my boundaries a bit.

As usual, there are more books on my bookshelf waiting to be read, with the last count of about ten books lined up! They range from Erwin McManus' newest "Wide Awake," to a work of fiction about golf. What are you in the middle of reading, or what type of book would you want to read if you had the time or the desire?

4 comments:

gretchen said...

I am typically NOT reading..sad, but true. But I did pick begin What's so Amazing about Grace by Phillip Yancey last week and it is quite good. I have made time to read it 3 or 4 more times since I started it, so that is good for me.

Dan, Heather, and Bjorn said...

I like you chuck. I have a huge appreciations for all literates out there :)

I agree with you about The Shack. I've picked it up twice now, but haven't made much progress. Here's to trying, right?

I had an interesting conversation with this girl at The Wine Thief. She was reading this book called, "The rise and fall of great cities." I was very impressed because anyone who reads a book called "The rise and fall of great cities" must be awesome. So I asked her what she did besides work at The Wine Thief. She told me she just got out of the peace corps where she had been in Somalia for 3 years. I rest my case. So, here's to reading.

Full of JOY said...

i'm scared to read the shack. let me know what you think!

Chuck said...

I just finished The Shack a few days ago, and I highly recommend it! There are a few sections that are a bit difficult to get through, but the rest of the book is a must read!