Friday, June 8, 2007

We Are Sensory Creatures

"My brother just got a new Apple computer. Several of us were there when he opened it, and we were so into it that we were actually handing the various parts around the room. If you have taken part in this particular ritual, then you know that Apple ships everything in white and silver bags and liners that would make dirt look attractive. We were even passing the power cord around the room, admiring its design.

Were we losing our minds? The power cord?

The designers at Apple understand something significant about what it means to be human: we are hardwired to appreciate sensory experience.

Texture, shape, color, feel, aroma.

The things God creates in Genesis are 'pleasing to the eye.' We have an ingrained sense of appreciation for how things look and feel and smell. We bear the image of our maker."

Rob Bell, Sex God



Eric and Lisa went with me to buy my MacBook a few months ago. Eric and I were like little kids on Christmas morning, opening up my computer box, and marveling at its content's beauty!

3 comments:

Heidi said...

I love that you're blogging so much. I'm sure it's because it's summer that so many others are slowing down a bit. But we office job/cubicle creatures need a little break every once in awhile to see what's going on with the rest of our community. Keep it up! :)

Full of JOY said...

i'm marveling at how my stupid ipod is DEAD. apple has let me down. i'm bitter.

Full of JOY said...

AAHHH!! sweet- i'm there!!! :)