Sunday, June 3, 2007

Narrative

"From the beginning of human community, the brain has made use of conversation and oral stories as primary programs of verbal learning. Since life itself takes the shape of a narrative, it makes sense that the brain would specialize in that form. Around the campfire or the kitchen table, stories stoke fires that seem to burn forever in the child's brain."

L. Brendto, M. Brokenleg, and S. Van Bockern, Reclaiming Youth at Risk: Our Hope for the Future

As I was studying this afternoon for my Counseling Children & Adolescents class, I came across the quote above, that speaks to my excitement for the narrative form of story. Sharing our past with others is a valuable way to not only pass down other people's lives, but it's a great way for us to share our faith as well. Be sure to take the time to share something with someone today...

1 comment:

Kari, RN said...

You're right, stories ARE a great way to share with others!

As promised, here's a comment so you'll be able to link to my blog. It was great to meet you this morning and I'm looking forward to hearing more about you!