Friday, November 9, 2007

Some Random Thoughts on a Friday Afternoon

Last night was an enjoyable, yet sad evening for me. I sat in my favorite chair, next to a crackling firelog in the fireplace, with an amazing Oliva Series G cigar in one hand and a glass of white wine in the other, watching Adam Sandler and Don Cheadle in Reign Over Me.

The movie was a very powerful one for me, as I found myself struggling right along with Charlie Fineman, played by Adam Sandler. Not that my current sadness compares to his, as he lost his wife and children in one of the airplanes that crashed into the Twin Towers on 9/11, but in a strange way I could still relate to him. I also was drawn to the character played by Liv Tyler, who was his psychiatrist. Other than the fact that Liv is gorgeous, I know why I was drawn to her - she was a "healer," who just wanted to help.

Why the current sadness? I find myself dreading the upcoming holiday season, without a girlfriend once again, and knowing that I probably won't be spending time with any of my family for Christmas. Isn't it funny that even though I have a relationship with the God of the Universe, for that matter the Maker of the Universe, that I can still feel sad and lonely? I do have some really great friends, friends that I'd die for, friends who are like brothers and sisters to me, who are my allies, and a Father who knows me better than I know myself, yet I still struggle with sadness and loneliness...

Anyway, if you haven't seen the movie yet (maybe everyone else has but me), I highly recommend it.

3 comments:

Dan said...

quality blog and an awesome movie

gretchen said...

Jamie and I were BOTH crying on the plane to Seattle watching this movie..it is very powerful. Sorry you are sad...wish I could make it go away. =(

Full of JOY said...

i do, but i don't want to see it. i keep hearing about it- i'm sure one night, the night will be right for me to watch it.

also, thanks for sharing your sadness. it's real and it encourages me to know that other people struggle with similar hurts.