Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Butter


Today, at my elementary school site in St. Paul, I was given the opportunity to lead two classroom guidance lessons for kindergartners. Our lesson was on cooperation, and learning to work together on something. We paired the kids up, and provided the groups with the necessary tools they needed to make butter! They were given a baby food jar that had heavy whipping cream in it, and they were given the task of shaking it until it turned into butter. When their arms got sore they had to give it to their partner to shake. After about five minutes of shaking, it formed into butter, which they got to spread on crackers and eat - they loved it! I really enjoyed giving them the lesson today, and they got a big kick out of making and eating the butter!

I will be leading several more classroom guidance lessons in the next week or so, and will videotape one of them for my final internship videotaping requirement. I will probably record the kindergartners again, as I will be reading them a book and discussing the importance of using our hands for helping and not for hurting (similar to today's lesson on cooperation when they used their hands to work together).

I've really enjoyed my time with the elementary kids, and I hope to get a job working in an elementary school in the fall.

3 comments:

gretchen said...

how fun...I didn't know you could make butter that way. Maybe Mr. Mannie could come over and have a guidance lesson with Tori and Isabelle and then Gretchen can eat the butter. ;)

Praying for your fall job!!!!

Full of JOY said...

That is the coolest lesson!!!

Marissa said...

I didn't know you could make butter that way either.

But Gretchen... I can TOTALLY see Posni getting all frustrated that Tori is doing all the shaking! But Chuck, I guess that's were your lesson comes in handy... Tori and Ponsi can learn to work together!!!