Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Love Sonnet #6-4-3

Here's my submission to A Prairie Home Companion's upcoming love sonnet contest in mid-April. Wish me luck!

The sun sets bright over the outfield wall
Feel the heavy bat in my hands, as I drip
Here comes the pitchers’ first offering…“ball”
In his windup again, He loosens his grip.
Sailing through the air, the white orb gains steam
I think I saw it pass, but to no avail
I swung with all my might, that ball did scream
It’s in the catcher’s mitt, I wanted to wail!
The final delivery is sent with pride
I can see the seams of that spinning ball
As it nears the plate, I am in full stride
I swing with mite; it’s over the fielder tall!
Whoever said I’m too old to go home,
They should see that ball sail, and watch me roam!

1 comment:

gretchen said...

Great job, Chuck! It is so fitting for you--opening day is when? Good luck!