Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Patience

I have never been good at waiting for something. Whether it's waiting for microwave popcorn to finish popping, the toaster to finish toasting my bread, or for the clock to creep along until lunch time and then for the end of the work day. Each Spring I cannot wait for the baseball season to begin, or for that matter for the snow to melt first. Whenever there's an exciting event on my calendar, I cannot wait for that day to come. I currently am in graduate school working towards my masters in school counseling and I cannot wait for classes to be done, even though I still have almost two years left, so that I can begin working in a school. These days, I'm having a really hard time waiting for a phone call from a special person in my life.

I can never understand why it is that I have to wait for something that I want - I want what I want, when I want it. However, I think God has been teaching me to trust in Him first, while I wait for the things I want most.

"The end of a matter is better than its beginning, and patience is better than pride."

Ecclesiastes 7:8

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness..."

Galations 5:22

"[B]eing strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light."

Colossians 1:11-12

3 comments:

gretchen said...

That is great Chuck, well, not great that you have to wait, but great that God is teaching you to trust Him in the process...what a valuable lesson we all need to learn. Thanks for sharing.

Chuck said...

Thanks Gretchen. However, it's been a rather tough lesson with many ups and downs along the way.

Full of JOY said...

ugh. i hate waiting as well. i feel as if that's all i do....wait. i've never much been for the here and now- but i'm really trying to be. i know God has my days numbered and so that's why i want to make the most of my life TODAY.