Thursday, July 5, 2007

Fathers


Fathers. We've all had them at one point in our lives. Some have had close relationships with their fathers, while others have had difficult relationships. Nonetheless, fathers play a vital role in our lives.

This past week I got to see an awesome father/child relationship modeled to me in Aimee and her dad Wayne. Aimee called me at work on Tuesday to say that her dad had a heart attack, and was in the hospital. When I got to the hospital later that afternoon, I saw a room full of people who clearly loved Wayne - Aimee's mom, Aimee, Aimee's sister and brother-in-law, and Aimee's little niece. I was also able to watch the July 4th fireworks from Abbott Northwestern hospital with Aimee and her dad last night. It was very apparent to me the love that Aimee has for her father, and the love he has for his daughter.

Yesterday, I also got to spend the day with my dad at our cabin. Aimee was going to join us, but obviously had more important matters to attend to with her dad. My dad and I enjoyed a bbq lunch, went for a pontoon ride, and sat on the dock just talking for over an hour. My relationship with my dad has always been strained, and has only gotten more difficult after my mom passed away almost 12 years ago. However, yesterday was a good day spent with him. He and I talked non-stop (we both possess the gift of gab)! We also had a few close moments together when we talked about mom, and her absence from our lives. I'm going to post a few pictures of he and I sometime soon.

Fathers. Whether you love them, or don't always like them, they are an important part of our lives. Be sure to hug your dad sometime soon, and tell him how you feel about him. If you can't do that, than at least be thankful for him today. If that's too hard, than be blessed knowing your Heavenly Father cares for you.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Chuck, Thanks for the reminder. I'm taking it from the perspective that I am a dad though. I hope my girls care for me later in life in the same way Aimee cares for her dad.

Full of JOY said...

i miss my daddy sooooooooooooo much....he's coming next month, though!! i can't wait!!! :)