Saturday, December 22, 2007

Memories


About this time each year, around Christmas, I begin missing my Mom more than at any other time of the year. My Mom made Christmas very special. It was a time of her and I decorating the tree. A time of us making Christmas cookies together. She always made many different kinds of cookies and fudge, and especially two of my favorites - chocolate covered raisins and chocolate covered cherries. I can still remember setting the dining room table for Christmas Eve dinners, using the expensive china and the polished silverware, and the dark red water goblets. We would open presents as a family after dinner, with me usually getting to play Santa by passing out the gifts to everyone. I would sit in front of our Christmas tree for hours, listening to my Mom's Christmas albums, late into the night. Christmas morning was spent eating a large meal, which included homemade caramel rolls.

Christmas is a time for being thankful for the birth of our Savior, and of being thankful for what we do have, but for me it is also a time of missing my Mom and of reflecting on the past. It has often been a sad time, spent missing her, and of wanting a family of my own to make the holidays bright and cheerful again.

Tonight, I decided to watch one of my favorite movies, The Family Stone. It is about a disfunctional, yet very functional family, and a glimpse into the lives of each of its members. I was reminded once again of my Mom, and of how much I miss her smile, her laugh, her touch, and her hugs. Please be sure to wish your Mom a Merry Christmas for me, and tell her that you love her and are thankful for her.

No comments: